Saturday, June 12, 2010

Missing in Action


I have been bad! Its been ages since I logged on to share all that is happening around here. To make things worse, I am leaving for four weeks to the states on Saturday. Don't misunderstand me, I am thrilled to be leaving. But, I will most likely not post too many times in the next four weeks either. So a quick update to share what has happened in my absence.


As you may recall, this is the start of the remodel back in November. We had a full fledge leak coming from the shower through to the lower lounge room. Extensive damage and not covered by insurance! This was the last thing we wanted to do after just purchasing the house. Finally, after much work and many months of tradesmen. It is finished.

Why did this take so long? Firstly, it was an absolute nightmare! We made mistakes with ordering tiles, even though we had a tiler do the math. We also skimped money with tradesmen. We settled for their off hours between 4-6. And thirdly, after I finally got all the wall in and painted and decided to trim out the mirror. I nailed through a water line! Which meant ripping out a wall and patching and painting and plumbing etc. I was not happy about that. Last but by far the worst! The shower door installation was a joke!! It took weeks. And it was hard work on my part because they kept wanting to do a poor quality work! Round one, they installed the pains of glass off the shower pan line. Insisting it was impossible to hang on the line. Because they installed it off line, they had to re cut the glass. I was not happy with this at all. So when they came back I continued to insist they follow the pan line. It is only silicon. you can glue it at any angle! This was a battle until I had my husband call the company. Once corrected they had to re cut the glass again.

Then they hung the door and missed the stud! They said this was all fine as the tiles would hold the door up. of course they cracked my marble and tiles. The idea of the heavy door pulling on my wall with no support other than tiles was scary. I asked them to remove the door and said I would pad the stud. A task I was not happy about since it required I cut in the through the hall way. Once again I had to get another wall repaired. And can I just add, padding a stud is not an easy task. It took me three tries before I could fit the power drill in between the wall cavity to screw the stud in. Finally, padded I had them re install the door. Which had to be moved over as they now were following the correct pan line.

But, it didn't end there! The installer left the place in such a mess with such a sloppy application of silicon and the door hung lopsided, I once again had to call and complain. it took three more hours for the silicon to be cleaned up, cleaned off my floor, and basin, and the joints made crisp and smooth. For the glass to be cleaned up of silicon and for the door to be hung plum.


I decided last minuet to put this little cubby hole above the bath. I needed something to break the space up and A piece of art in this humid environment was not an option. I made this little box and the plasterer (who was exceptional) put it in for me. Thanks Liam!

What I love about the space. I love the flooring!! unfortunately, my husband doesn't. But it works for young children. It is a wonderful tile surface that has shine and matte areas. It also has a wonderful texture! I especially love the way it accents the honey toned hardwood floor. It reminds me of the way the rocks on a beach look. With bits of gray and sandstone stripes glossy from water and matte from sun and wind. It is perfect as it doesn't show muddy little foot prints too!

I also love the elongated Subway tiles. Not your traditional size which adds a modern twist, but with a classical application.

I have to add before I go. I love the toilet too! Sitting lush against the wall I no longer have to reach around the thing to clean behind it. No little groves and twists to collect dust and other things you find around a toilet. Just clean and solid. I think in the master bath I will try a floating toilet!?




No comments:

Post a Comment